Thursday, April 17, 2008

Win a Blogger Tournament -- Check!

At the beginning of the new year, I made some personal poker goals for myself. Play better, build bankroll, win a MTT with 500+ entrants, and win a blogger tournament. Well, boys and girls, memphis rolled into the mook last night and took it down. Biggest hand of the tournament was the first hand after we got in the money. I changed tables and saw that fuel was sitting 2 seats behind me. Now I know he's not a big tournament player, but he is easily one of the more experienced bloggers and sits down at tables with more money than I have in my bankroll ( last night he wwas playing a $25/50). So, heres the hand.

Dealt to MEMPHIS00 [9s 9h]
UnTiltable15 folds
GScottW folds
heffmike folds
MEMPHIS00 raises to 1,500
rmbj494 folds
kevin_with_AK calls 1,420, and is all in
Fuel55 raises to 6,590, and is all in
dnasty13 folds
NewinNov folds
MEMPHIS00 calls 4,974, and is all in
Fuel55 shows [Qc Ah]
MEMPHIS00 shows [9s 9h]
kevin_with_AK shows [Qh Kh]
Uncalled bet of 116 returned to Fuel55
*** FLOP *** [Ks Ad 9d]
dnasty13: im trying to fold to 15th then
*** TURN *** [Ks Ad 9d] [Jc]
*** RIVER *** [Ks Ad 9d Jc] [Qs]
Fuel55 shows two pair, Aces and Queens
MEMPHIS00 shows three of a kind, Nines
MEMPHIS00 wins the side pot (10,108) with three of a kind, Nines
kevin_with_AK shows two pair, Kings and Queens
MEMPHIS00 wins the main pot (5,460) with three of a kind, Nines
kevin_with_AK stands up

Is this a good call? Fuel and I were practically even in chips. In fact, he had me covered by a few hundred chips. So, should I fold here with 99, an all-in and a jam to isolate? I felt it was the kind of situation where I was probably going to be a coinflip. Win the hand and I'm 2nd in chips. Lose, go home, but $10.20 richer. Or $0.80 more broke. However you want to look at it.

Thanks again to Mookie for hosting, BDR for constant entertainment, Surflexus for being there every step of the way, and also PokerEnthusiast and InstantTragedy. I told you 3 the pick would not be in vain!


So here's to the TOC and hopefully the WSOP. [If you spell them out it sounds like a cool rap. Add in a gangsta-lean and you're almost at my level.] God I hope this image doesn't do anything funky when I add it in. This is my longest post to date.



8 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

Against FUEL that call is alright. he is a LAGTard and should be punished. Congratz on the win.

Unknown said...

CONGRATS!

I believe in my ESP(N) of my picks.

Take down the TOC!
Good Luck

IT

mookie99 said...

Congrats on the big win!

Astin said...

Congrats on the win! I was hoping for a longer HU battle (obviously), but you played a great game at the FT.

See you in the TOC.

smokkee said...

calling two all-ins with 99 is not a good idea. especially, if one of them has you covered.

but, it's a $10 tournament.

yeeehaaaw!

congrats on the win.

BWoP said...

Congrats on the win and the TOC seat!

Shrike said...

Congratulations on the win.

That being said, Smokkee is absolutely correct as far as I am concerned.

Odds are you need to hit your set to win a 3-way pot and you're putting your tournament life at risk when you have relatively little invested. This should be a relatively simple and painless fold under normal circumstances.

If you want to gamble it up to try to become a big stack in a winner-take-all situation -- most of the bloggers really are trying to win the ToC seats; second place is pretty lame -- the call is defensible. Here, you got lucky and hit your set and that catapulted you to a big stack.

surflexus said...

Congrats!